University of Technology
School of Business Administration
COURSE TITLE: Fundamentals of Finance - FOF / Financial Management
WEB SITE: www.rohanchambers.com/Courses/FOF/Home.htm
|LECTURER & TUTOR:||Rohan Chambers|
|C/o School of Business, Ext.2141|
|Personal web site: www.rohanchambers.com|
The course seeks to provide the foundation of financial management. It will introduce some of the basic concepts used by financial managers in the decision making process, provide a theoretical framework within which these concepts are applicable and draw upon local situations to highlight the importance of both theory and the practice of finance. In the end, the substructure would have been laid for more advanced courses in Finance.
* - The specific course objective are included at the beginning of each topic's notes (see below for notes).
Notes - (the relevant chapter from the text is in the curved brackets) -
Tutorial Q & A
Online Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Supplemental articles/web sites
The links with require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. If you do not have this software click below:
|1||Overview of Financial Management (1)|
|2||The Financial Environment (4)||Q and A|
|3||Financial Statement Analysis (3)||Q and A|
|4||Q and A|
|5||Q and A||
|6||Stock Valuation (8)||Q and A|
|7||Bond Valuation (7)||Q and A|
|8||Cost of Capital (9)||Q and A|
|9||Capital Budgeting - Introduction -(10)||Q and A||
|10||Capital Budgeting - Cash Flow Estimation - (11)||Q and A||
Lectures will be the forum for the introduction and general discussion of each topical area. Students are required to obtain the lecture notes from the course's web site (see above & below) and bring them to the lectures. To assimilate the information more readily and in turn enhance better quality discussions, students are advised to read the relevant notes prior to attending the lecture at which it will be discussed. I will assume that this has been done.
Tutorials will follow 1 week after each lecture and will be the forum for students to cement the material covered in those lectures. Such tutorials will consist of computational problems, essays and cases taken from tutorial sheets. These tutorial sheets are available from the course's web site but a limited amount will also be copied and made available in class. Again, students must prepare all questions prior to attending tutorials, as this is the only way to be successful in this course. The tutors will assume that this has been done.
|Type||Date Date||Topics||Length||Format||Weight (%)|
* - More details on these assessments will be provided throughout the course and are all subject to change.
- Main Text:
- Fundamentals of Financial Management, Brigham & Houston, Harcourt College Publishers, 10th Edition. For an 'online' feel, the web site companion of this text is: http://www.swlearning.com/finance/brigham/ffm10e/ffm10e.html
- Other references:
- The course web page: www.rohanchambers.com/Courses/FOF/Home.htm serves as a repository of materials for the course. You may also access this web page by doing the following: Go to www.rohanchambers.com , select Courses from the left and then select Fundamentals of Finance (FOF) / Financial Management
- Note - Additional references and reading assignments will be prescribed as the need arises.